|When I decided to create a site about the April 3, 1974
tornado outbreak, I had no idea what was really involved. I am not a
meteorologist. I wasn't even effected by the outbreak. But the town I now
call home was nearly decimated by a F4 tornado. As I grew up, I always
heard the stories and saw the fear in peoples eyes when tornado warnings
were issued. I hope to create a place where we can document every aspect
of that day, from the stories and pictures from the people effected to the
meteorological aspects. Hopefully, this will be a great spot for students to
research the event and for people to reflect back and show their children
and grandchildren what that day was like. With no actual information of my
own, I have had to rely on the kindness of others who donated time, works,
pictures and more to create this site. Thanks You!!!!!
- Paul Blume - Paul donated most all of the pictures of
the Hanover College area to the site.
- Mike Brighton - I met Mike on an Ebay auction. He has given
unique articles, videos and sound bites from the outbreak. Mike lost his
mother during the storm.
- John Burress - Thanks for donating great pictures of the
- Mark Cook for the photos from the Carmago, Kentucky Area
- The Downeys - John and his Aunt donated pictures and stories
of the damage to the Arrowhead subdivision in Xenia, Ohio.
- Doug Duell - Gave me 20 pictures of damage along the Ohio
River in Madison. Thanks Doug!!
- Jim and Lori Ferguson -Worked with me on my writing skills
and did I need the help!
- Freeport Community College - Dr. Davidson and Dr. Peterson
helped my immensely by writing the page "Why the Outbreak occurred." It
was difficult for them because I asked them to take an incredible
meteorological event and explain in a way that a 6th grader could
- Dr. Ted Fujita - Without the work of Ted Fujita this web site
wouldn't have existed. What a great man! Read more about
- Dr. Noel and Rosie Graves - gave me 16 pictures of Hanover,
Indiana. Including 11 photos of the tornado. Thanks!!!!
- John Hultgren - John gave some great photos of Xenia! The
black and white photos are excellent reminders of the day.
- Dave and Sue Houk - Donated 19 photos of the Madison Indiana
area, including 2 of the tornado approaching the Madison Hilltop. Thanks
Lichlyter - Tim Gave me a collection of newspapers from the Madison
Courier and The Louisville Courier-Journal that his parents had saved.
Incredible pictures and stories that, hopefully, I will be able to add
to the web site. Thanks Tim!
- Don Macy - Don sent me 34 great
B&W photos of the Brandenburg area! Thanks so much!!!!
- Madison Courier - Thanks to
Robin Cull and Jane Jacobs for their support with this project!!
- Madison Photo and Bridal Service - Donated great pictures of
Madison including the picture of the tornado approaching Madison.
- Joe Prather for the picture from Cynthiana, Kentucky
- Dr James McDonald - for allowing me to use his report from
the Fujita Scale forum and his hard work in researching tornadoes and
severe weather events.
- Meade County Messenger and Pat Bowen for allowing me to use their
book "Since April Third " (all 144 pages) on the web site.
Kishor C. Mehta, -
or allowing me to use his report from the Fujita Scale forum and
his hard work in researching tornadoes and severe weather events.
- Melissa Humphrey - Melissa was kind enough to e-mail me 11
photos of the Sayler Park, Ohio area including 2 great shots of the
- Monticello Herald Journal for allowing me to reproduce their
book "Killer Tornado."
- Ken and Dana Moore - A causal conversation turned into
a great plus for the website! Dana Moore grew up in Brandenburg,
Kentucky and experienced the April 3, 1974 tornadoes. The pictures of
that area came from a book she loaned me ! Thanks Ken and Dana!
- My Wife - For being understanding of my long hours in front
of the computer working on this web site. I Love You Susan!!!!!
- My Brother - thanks for setting up the forum brother! Looks
- Jim Pirtle - donated great aerial shots of the Madison
- Mike Schwendeman - Mike donated 3 great photos of the tornado
over Richmond , Kentucky
- Kevin Sullivan for designing the header graphic for the web
site! Much better than mine!!
- Texas Tech University - Sent me tons of Dr. Fujitas
work on the day. All I had to pay was for copying (if they didn't have a
copy already) and shipping and handling! Wow!
Click Here for
- Steven Townsend- Steve is a Photographer for
Code 3 images, He has
donated great current aerial view photos of Brandenburg.
- Barbara Tufty - Mrs. Tufty allowed me use a large
selection of her book because she wanted to help school children!
- WHAS - Lousiville, Kentucky for allowing me to use the
transcript from the Dick Gilbert's radio broadcast as he followed an F4
tornado through Louisville. Thanks also to Mark Travis and David
Jennings. Roger Taylor has put together a great page with the news
broadcasts from April 3rd!
- Tom Wills - As WAVE 3's Chief Meteorologist, Tom Wills has a
very busy schedule. Yet, he made the time to sit down and talk to me
about his experiences on April 3, 1974. Mr. Wills was extremely nice and
knowledgeable. Thanks Mr. Wills for all your help!!!
- WORX Radio in Madison, Indiana for their continued support
with this project. Thanks Janice!